Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Honeymooning


Here’s my confession: I’ve been composing at least three blog entries in my head in the last week. But I’m too embarrassed that I haven’t posted anything in ten months. So I will offer a recap blog, in hopes that I can pick this up again. So…where have we been since last fall?

San and I last checked in when we got engaged last September. Yes, back in 2010. Moving on…

September through March consisted of wedding planning. As most everyone who could possibly be reading this blog probably knows, we tied the knot at Starved Rock State Park. It was a lovely day in the 50’s, our closest family and friends generally made the journey to support us and celebrate, and we had a blast. Oh, and we ended up married. No more cohabitation, yo, we’re husband and wife!

In that time, we had Thanksgiving with the Naso’s in New York, and I finally visited Canada. We had some French-ish food, bought tea, and watched as my father-in-law was accosted by a stranger who tried to convince him that he looks like he is Native American. Despite, FIL’s protests, the stranger proceeded to thank him for his services in fighting off the Americans during some unspecified past war. I met another soon-to-be Aunt and her boyfriend, and fun, food, and love were shared all around.

Next up…visitors! Ashley came to visit, and also to convince me that I really should buy a real wedding dress. She was sweet enough to drag us both out into a snowstorm (major kudos to the California girl!) to try on some dresses, eat tapas, and then drop the dough. We actually made out with a deal, and my wedding pictures look pretty fantastic.

Christmas was with the Smith’s, but in North Carolina rather than the traditional home in Kentucky. It had a bit more excitement than usual, since my dad was still reconstructing my brother’s bathroom. We also experienced the Great Christmas Blizzard that shut down the eastern seaboard, complete with a rescue mission to retrieve my cousin who made the unfortunate mistake of flying on that particular day. We also managed to pimp out the trip with first class upgrades both ways, thanks to my business travel excesses during 2009 and 2010.

Spring passes with flying colors, culminating with the aforementioned hitching. After many weekends of crafting, including assembling invitations, table decorations, and programs, our bff Holly performed a handcrafted ceremony, which San and I both cried through. We then treated everyone to dinner and dancing. Soon after, San and I spent five days in Santa Fe and the surrounding area, loving every minute of our honeymoon, trying to adjust to addressing each other as “husband” and “wife.”

We languished through the remainder of the neverending Chicago winter. We wrote our thank you notes (I admit that I think a few still haven’t been mailed yet….) We hosted a small derby party the first weekend in May, trying to uphold a shaky new tradition. I failed to make derby pie, but we did have hats!

San made his annual trek to the Superman Festival in Metropolis, Illinois in early June. Josh and Kay visited us one weekend, and played with us in the city. The next weekend we spent in New Orleans, which deserves its own blog entry. (San was working at a conference, but I wandered around the city, partially making it into a photo-vacation.) And that brings us to July.

So here we are, entering summer in Chicago. It didn’t arrive until late June, when the seasons switch flipped from Frost Bite to Heat Stroke. We grilled out with friends for the Fourth of July, enjoying the long weekend. Unfortunately we missed the fireworks, due to interference from some large trees. Just yesterday a storm passed through the area, which everyone tells me was pretty impressive. I happened to be in a basement during the exact 45 minute period when it let loose. Our power finally came back on at 1:30 am this morning. It was a muggy and uncomfortably warm evening until that point.

And so life is happening, which is usually what happens when a blog/journal/diary is abandoned for a length of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fill our heads with your thoughts: